Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Tuesday morning



*******************

35.8 degrees and gray at 6:15 a.m.


From WKTV:   "Good Tuesday!  A mix of rain and snow will greet many folks heading out the door this morning.  A storm system will park itself overhead today, bringing plenty of unsettled weather.  Occasional rain and snow showers this afternoon, with even some graupel (aka 'soft hail') possible.  Highs only in the upper 40s with a 15-20mph breeze.

More rain and snow showers overnight, with little accumulation.  Lows in the mid 30s.

Cool, wet weather continues into the middle of the week.  Highs will stay in the 40's and 50s."

MORE EVENT ANNOUNCEMENTS!

AT THE LIBRARY

Thursday, April 26th @ 6pm
Family Movie Night 

Movie: Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked


Thursday, May 3rd @ 7pm
"Behind the Scenes" of the Glimmerglass Opera House


Glimmerglass Festival's Director of Production, Abby Rodd, will tell you about repertory theatre at the Glimmerglass theatre - including four productions of the 2012 season: 
Aida, Armide, Lost in the Stars & The Music Man.


 Saturday, May 5th @ 11am
Ages 4 & up | Sign Up
Mother Daughter Tea 

Mothers and Daughters are invited to join us for a tea in their honor. 
Refreshments and crafts are included all for free.
***********************
Waterville Central School District
BUDGET VOTE 
Tuesday, May 15th, 2012, 8:30 am - 8:30 pm 



 
One applicant's signs have appeared throughout the community.

*************************

Also making their appearance .............


.........  flowering quince - this at the Pestos' on Babbott Avenue .......


.............. and Yellow Magnolias. This is just south of the old Depot in Deansboro.


The Redbud Trees that were planted about 25 years ago in the open space at the top of Buell Avenue by the late John Zweifel are blooming, but they really need some pruning and clearing!
(I'd do it, but I can't reach!)

**********

 View from Lewis Road.



*******************************

I just found this Blogspot list of people who read "At Home in the Huddle" and 
the countries in which they live.

I wonder who the ones in Russia, Slovenia, Brazil, Columbia and Germany are and wish that they'd send me "Hello!" Emails
****************************
The following is a Letter to the Editor that I sent to The Waterville Times. It will probably appear in this week's issue, due out today, and I'd like you to read it, too!

To the Editor:

 “How ARE you?” It's a question that we all ask, automatically, when we see someone we know in places like the Post Office parking lot or in Foodking or Morgan's or even at the pharmacy counter in CVS.  The usual reply, of course, is,  “Just fine, thanks! How are you?”  and that usually takes care of that!
But then there are people like me! I've taken to using that greeting as an opportunity to launch into a five- or ten-minute recitation about my own recent medical adventures.  (Many of you may have heard my extended answer, before, but I don't want to miss a single chance to praise the Harding Nursing Home and everyone there!)
For years I've read in Dottie Ruane's column in The Waterville Times that “So-and-So is in Hardings for 'rehab,'” and have never really known just what “rehab” meant.  Now I do.
When I was released from St. Elizabeth's Hospital, on the 1st of March, I had been there for nearly two weeks, flat on my back, and on a diet of broth, Jell-O and Italian ice. I could barely stand up by myself, I was hooked by cable to an oxygen tank and was exhausted by the whole experience.  Anyone could tell that there was simply no way that I could take care of myself at home, alone.
That is why, for me and for others who find themselves in the same condition and/or situation, professional  rehabilitation is almost a necessity!
It was sheer good luck that there was a vacancy at Hardings, right here in Waterville, where the staff knew exactly what to do to turn me back into an independent person.  One of the first and best things I noticed was that everyone there smiled! (That, alone, was great medicine!)  Within a day or two the nursing staff had me up on my feet and had gradually weaned me off oxygen, completely; the dietician had added more and more real food to my meals (and yes -  the food is good!) and over the next couple of weeks Allison Tredwell - the Physical Therapist / Rehab Director, challenged and urged me and my legs to do more and more work.  (I never realized how much was involved, at first, in using a “walker,” and then relearning how to climb stairs!)
When I was discharged from Harding Nursing Home I had mixed feelings about “going home.” Excited - yes, but also sad to be leaving all the wonderful people that I'd met there. I told them that I would be writing a public “Thank You” to send to The Waterville Times and to publish, here,  that would serve to tell readers about the "rehab" program at the Harding Nursing Home and how much it had helped me. It's taken longer than I thought it would because my first draft was three pages long - probably the written equivalent of my ten-minute verbal answer to the question, “How ARE you?”  The short answer, is: “I'm just dandy, thank you, and I owe it all to 'Hardings!' ” 
 I don't want it to sound as if I'm not indebted, too, to my daughter, Allison, her husband, Rick, and their son, Iain, as well as the hundred-and- fifty or even more people who sent me Get Well cards and Email messages and flowers and who brought gifts.  Without all of your thoughtfulness, visits, generosity, prayers and good wishes and encouragement the Harding team might have had a less eager and cooperative patient, but you made me smile and feel ever so much more determined to get better, back to the Waterville world and back to the blog too!

Thank you, everyone!

Philippa Brown
Learn more about Harding Nursing Home.

************************** 

Have a good day!