Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Recyclables Day
It was 40 degrees and sprinkling at 7:00 a.m.

At about 7:45, a dramatically loud thunder storm rolled through the area!


WKTV's Weather Forecast: "Pockets of sleet and freezing rain north and east of Utica are creating for slick spots early this morning. Expect some icy spots for the morning commute. An expected changeover to rain is expected after sunrise.

An area of low pressure swings through today, bringing us some much needed rain. Scattered showers throughout the day, with high temperatures ranging from the 40s north of the valley, 50s in the valley, and near 60 south of the valley.

Showers tomorrow night may mix with a few wet snowflakes over the higher elevations by early Thursday morning


*******************************

Jeffrey S. Seidsma, Deansboro
1961 - 2012

*******************************




You don't have to go far to find more signs of Spring: park benches are out all along Main Street and, in the park, the picnic tables have each received a new coat of "springlike" green paint!


The Village has one side of the bulletin board to advertise the DPW's first Green Waste Pickup on April 17.

Please note that all clippings must be in dumpable containers and larger pieces - branches, etc. - should tied in bundles.

Nothing left loose will be collected!





Springtime Hours! Now Open

Monday through Thursday 4:00 - 8:00
Friday, Saturday and Sunday 11:00 - 8:00




There's a beautiful Spring bouquet on the front door of Jim and Nancy Morgan's home on Stafford Avenue.



The forsythia bush at the front door of the Suba residence on Berrill Avenue / Hanover Road is in full bloom......



............ and Easter Eggs, which appear to have bounced directly from the Easter Basket on the front door of Bonnie Bechy and her daughter Joanna's home on Babbott Avenue, have landed - perfectly spaced - on the shrubbery in front of the porch!

*****



Out in the country, a great many farm fields have already been turned and tilled and - perhaps - planted.



I could see lots and lots of little hepatica blossoms close to Fuess-Cleary Road, but was surprised to see that there are enormous patches of wild LEEKS farther back in the hardwoods.

This is the link to a video that was a big hit last year. Two twelve-year-olds show you how to harvest leeks and then make honest-to-goodness Leek Soup!

Try it --- you'll be glad you did!!!



Next to the "dip" in the road there are large mats of evergreen Myrtle leaves and a few eager blossoms are definitely rushing the season!

**************************************

A REMINDER



FOR THE RECORD



************

More about the very well-founded rumor that PsB, barely home from "rehab" at Harding Nursing Home, had to be taken to St. E's by ambulance both Tuesday AND Wednesday m0rnings:

Yes; it's true!

But No! it isn't that I've had a "relapse" or that I'm especially keen on riding in ambulances or hanging out in the Emergency Room for three or four hours at a time! I have woken up both mornings having really ratty allergic reactions to something-or-other. On Tuesday, one half of my tongue was so swollen that it was making it difficult to swallow and threatening my airway. I took two Benedryl tablets and phoned Dr. Chabot's office at 9:00 to ask for further advice. I was told "You are to go to the Emergency Room. Do not pass go; do not collect $200; WE are calling WAVAC to get you!

O.K. - they mean business! That's trip #1.
(Yes - I did walk to the ambulance under my own steam!)

At the ER, I was given a good dose of something-or-other and the swelling was all gone in an hour. The Dr. determined exactly which of my meds was causing trouble and told me never, ever to take it again! O.K. I can deal with that.

Trip #2.

I certainly wasn't prepared to wake up this morning at 3:30 with my upper lip and part of my right cheek doing the balloon-business, but it was. Took two Benedryl. (Can't hurt; might help!)
Waited. By 4:00 I decided that "This is not really going very well!" Should I drive myself to St, E's. (I mean -- good grief: WHAT will villagers think if the ambulance makes another well-publicized appearance on Buell Ave.??????) But driving after taking Benedryl is always risky and being threatened with what might be swollen eyelid and impaired vision before I reached the hospital, I did opt for safety even if it has caused more "talk."
Different MD; much the same treatment as yesterday (although it hasn't subdued ALL of the swelling, yet) and a different "culprit" med has been removed from my daily pill pack.

I have prescriptions for a couple of things that SHOULD help me stave off more such dramatic events, but - if they don't do the trick - I'm darned glad that I, and everyone else around Waterville, can rely on WAVAC to get me where I need to go - safely! (Thanks loads, guys!)

********************

Have a good day, everyone!