Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Tuesday a.m. First Look ADD-ON

For those of you who are out of town and/or live far away and wonder if Waterville is still here .....

definitely Yes!!

Something woke me up at around 4:15 and, without looking at the clock, I thought it was light enough to be more like 7:00. No:  just the huge full moon!

I didn't hear any strong wind during the night and there don't seem to be any trees, limbs or even twigs on the ground.



Perhaps we've just been lucky!

*********

from WKTV.

"Sandy's Trail of Devastation"
from CNN.

********************************************

Now, at a little after 8:00, the temperature is 54 degrees and it's cloudy but dry.


Here's WKTV's Weather Forecast: "*A wind advisory remains in effect for Central New York through this afternoon*  Sandy made landfall last night near Cape May, NJ.  Wind gusts overnight in the local area were between 40-50mph.  Sandy has weakened considerably and has stalled over Pennsylvania.  For the rest of today, expect mostly cloudy skies with occasional rain showers.  Breezy conditions, with an east wind sustained 20-25mph with gusts over 30mph.  Highs near 60.
Sandy continues to bring blustery, wet conditions to the region for Halloween and Thursday.  Cooler air arrives Friday with scattered rain and snow showers in the higher elevations.  Cooler, drier weather expected for the weekend."

********************


I gather from Facebook postings and my morning Email that there was no storm damage - or even a storm - in the Waterville area.

There are, however, many Delays and Closings in nearby communities. You can find the list HERE, on WKTV.


I was one of many residents who shopped for "emergency food" in case we lost power for several days and spent yesterday afternoon putting away lawn furniture and anything else that could go flying around.


The Village DPW was on the job until late in the afternoon, vacuuming up all the leaves that residents had raked to the edge of the streets.


I did go out to Fuess-Cleary Road to check on the Canada Geese. Some had left, but there were still several hundred scattered around the fields.  They must have known, somehow, that yesterday was not a good day to be heading South!

****************

I
I'm still sorting through Email and have several posters advertising upcoming events that I'll get to later on.

Here's one piece of Email, however, that you should read right now: it's from our favorite photographer and pumpkin carver, Jody Hildreth.



He wrote: "I wanted to let you know that my pumpkin made it into the  top five for the Ducks Unlimited pumpkin 
carving contest. The winner is announced on Halloween.  I
need all the help  (VOTES!) I can get! You and anyone else can simply click on this link and click the "Vote For This Photo" button.  Then click "OK" in the pop up window. 
You don't need to sign up for anything - quick and painless! The prize is a lay down blind and a dozen decoys.  I don't duck hunt, personally, but my brother does and I go photograph with him once a year. Thanks!"  
(Sorry about the type misalignment: it's a blog thing that I don't have time to tinker with right now!)

**************************

To be continued!